There is no doubt that pancakes are one of the most popular breakfasts around the world. The history of pancakes can be traced back to Ancient Greece, where they were known as “thural” in ancient Greek. The word “pancake” comes from the Dutch word pannekoek: meaning “pancake” or “small loaf.” Did you know there is a delicious holiday being celebrated worldwide called Pancake Day?
What is Pancake Day?
Pancake Day is a tradition that has taken the world by storm over the last few years. The idea here is that each March 1st involves a celebration of all things pancake, including flair and creativity. The origin of the tradition is not entirely clear, but some guess that it was started by people who were avoiding cooking on a Sunday during Lent.
Where is the best place to celebrate pancake day? Check out the following places:
- Morning Glory in Ashland, Oregon – If there’s one place in Oregon you should visit during Pancake Day, it’s Morning Glory Cafe. The menu features a wide selection of homemade food and drinks, which is always a win for breakfast options. What makes the spot even better is that it’s found in Ashland, which is the perfect setting for a day out.
- Penny Cluse Café in Burlington, Vermont – The Penny Cluse Café is a fancier place to celebrate the day than most, with a menu featuring some of the most creative and delicious ways to enjoy traditional dessert.
- The Local in Prescott, Arizona – One of the best ways to celebrate it, though, is at The Local in Prescott, Arizona. The Local keeps the good tradition of celebrating this holiday by providing their customers with a nice and crispy pancake on a plate. This pancake house is a great spot to celebrate because not only is it a wonderful place to try pancakes, but it’s also an impressive restaurant to eat them at.
- 808 Grindz Café in Lahaina, Hawaii – Hawaiian cuisine is just one of the many cultures featured on 808 Grindz, a Hawaiian-themed restaurant with a pancake house. When it’s time to enjoy a plate of coconut, pineapple, and macadamia pancakes, the only thing we can think of is the deliciousness of Hawaiian food and the warm and welcoming atmosphere of 808 Grindz.
- Over Easy, A Daytime Eatery in Colorado Springs, Colorado – Over Easy is a must-stop spot for anyone visiting Colorado, thanks to its great food, friendly atmosphere, and convenient location. The menu features a variety of pancakes, along with breakfast sandwiches, omelets, and other great eats.
- 101 Diner in Encinitas, California – this restaurant is known for serving breakfast all day long and enjoys a positive reputation among its customers. 101 Diner serves breakfast all day, which means there is a pancake to satisfy any craving. They also serve hamburgers, wings, and other diner-style snacks. The restaurant’s location is in Encinitas, California, and is open 24 hours a day.
- Maplewood Kitchen and Bar in Cincinnati, Ohio – Whether it’s a special occasion or just a fun meal to get together with family and friends, pancakes are always a hit with the kids. The delicious and crisp dessert is a staple at most breakfast buffets, but if you’re looking for a fun and unique place to celebrate day-old pancakes, then look no further than Maplewood Kitchen and Bar.
- Downtown Café in Rochester, Michigan – Downtown Café has a reputation for being one of the best places to enjoy pancakes, and it’s easy to see why. Not only does it serve some of the best pancakes you’ll ever have, but you can also check out a live performance, or the I Love Lucy exhibit while you’re enjoying your pancake fix.
- Comfi at Old Bridge Township, New Jersey – If you’re looking for a lovely place to celebrate pancake day in New Jersey, look no further than Comfi at Old Bridge Township. Comfi has a bit of a pancake day tradition for anyone who knows them. Ever since they opened, they have hosted their annual Pancake Day. Since then, they have had it every year.
- Wildberry Pancakes and Café in Chicago, Illinois – The Wildberry Pancakes and Café is one of the most famous pancake houses in Chicago, Illinois. They have been serving up pancakes for over a decade and have built a cult-like following throughout the city. On weekends, a lengthy line of customers forms outside of the restaurant and wait for hours to get a taste of the famous pancakes.
So, which of these top places will you visit to celebrate Pancake Day?